Monday, January 7, 2008

Keen Observations In Television Continuity, Cell Phones Fuck Up Everything


So, last night, I was chatting with Gekkica Keppup Monkeee, friend extraordinaire working her shit out in the volatile Midwestern weather. Kind of sloppy from the Moonlight Toast, I allowed her to engage me in a lengthy discussion of the unrealistic misuse of cell phones on TV. She angrily described the point of consternation: "I watch my stories in the afternoon and the thing that bothers me the most is how no one seems to have caller ID on their cell phones. I mean, the phone rings and the character gets out the cell phone, doesn't look at it, but flips it open or hits a button and says Hello? With a huge question mark. Or they will say 'Who is this' or 'Oh, you.' In real life, no one answers their cell phone like this, since caller ID always gives away who the caller is. My phone rings, I look at it, SEE WHO IT IS CALLING ME and I may comment aloud or to myself 'Oh her, I'm not in the mood for her' or 'Who's number is that? Not answering.' It drives me nuts."
I confirmed to Gekk that I have observed the same thing on TV shows, but always found the detail too trite to actually bring it up in regular conversation, like this one. I'm happy to have finally unburdened my brain of it though; I think Gekk felt supported and understood. And this is what friendship is, people.
In other cell phone news, Jerry Lor-Lor's need to flip off cell user's on the freeway Saturday, was more justified than either of us knew at the time, per this article on msn.com today. Apparently, gabbing into a hunk of metal whilst driving a hunk of metal WHICH DOUBLES AS WEAPONRY, isn't such a good idea. No! Not because of death, silly, but because of commute times! Studies help us all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No wonder corporations aren't willing to pay the writiers more. they can't even keep up with simple cell phone technology.

ITS 2008 PEOPLE!