Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Should I Adapt Back to the Future or The Karate Kid?


The San Francisco Independent Film Festival is currently in session, and will be until February 20th. How hard it is to go watch a goddamn movie? Go!
I've been granted the pleasure (and pain) of seeing several films for free, as reimbursement for my volunteering gig.
The best, BY FAR, is Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Adaptation. I will not go into all the details of HOW it was made (you can read about that here), but to tease you I will say it was made by 12-year old kids. And it's cool as fuck.
They re-enact the entire movie, scene by scene, and utilize the original musical score. I found myself wholly impressed at how much they DIDN'T cut corners, were exceedingly creative in their choices (used the cutest dog ever to replace the monkey), and had the know-how to throw a punch and make you think it was real. If you have the means: SEE IT.
Since being a volunteer guarantees you some hob-nobbing with filmmakers, I chatted up Mr. Indiana Jones himself before the screening. He's short. He smells good. He thinks his movie is orgasmic. He's been on Craig Kilborn (and was wearing the hat to prove it). He didn't even mind that I gave him shit for not getting on Conan -- well -- he hasn't been on "yet".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes you should adapt them... let's do
the next karate kid - i will play the
lead - i have the outfits...