Thursday, February 21, 2008

"Iron My Shirt", Said the Clever Ass


Walking back from BART after work yesterday, a dick riding shotgun in a minivan raised his voice at me, shouting something along the lines of "I want to stick my tiny penis in you" and made that face. You know, the one with mouth wide, tongue undulating in a rapid beat -- mimicking the movements he'd try to reproduce in my vagina (isn't that what that face is for?).
Anyway, I knew I didn't have enough time to pass along my phone number, so I retreated to my secondary reaction to any human contact, and flashed him my most pronounced "You're an utmost idiot" face, and continued on.
The tongue-wagger reminded me of a CNN.com quote Jerry Lor-Lor had read and then relayed to me: "Still, experts warn subtle racism might be more dangerous than overt sexism." We raised hell in my kitchen about that one for awhile, but until today, I hadn't actually READ the whole article.
It raises complex questions about sexism and racism influencing presidential campaigns, and our deepest reactions to them -- what moves us as voters. Does Whitey feel guilty about past race ignorance (which led to enslavement and death)? Is the line too blurred between inherent male/female differences (women-mars, men-venus bullshit) and out-and-out misogyny?
And taking this whole mess a bit deeper, What if Hillary were a lesbian? I don't know. Just Saturday night, heading back to the car in the Mission, some douches drove by me and my three lesbian friends (two fems, one dyke) and noted douche #1 shouted, "Sit on my face". The lesbians took deep, inconsolable offense to this command as they felt it was specifically homophobic. I wondered if that were the case. Perhaps his comment was purely rooted in sexism (hetero or otherwise). I mean, I've had a dude kindly request I sit on his face before and I remember being happy to do so.
So, I know some of you read this and have opinions. Take the goddamn two minutes, set up an account and actually log your opinions. No censorship here.

No comments: