Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Who's Afraid of Teenagers? I'm Fucking Frightened


I came across this article yesterday, but I was so physically ill from reading it (plus my brain fog never lifted) that I had to wait until today to comment on and post it.

Two English teens were given life sentences yesterday for VIOLENTLY BEATING TO DEATH a goth chick, Sophie Lancaster, and SEVERELY BEATING, TO THE POINT OF PERMANENT MENTAL INCAPACITATION, her goth boyfriend, Robert Maltby. The reason they did so? As proven in court, it was a hate crime motivated by the victims' gothic appearance.

For those of you link-afraid and reading-adverse, here are some low-lights which best sum up the blatant inhumanity of these boys.

(all emphasis mine)
+"...someone shouted 'let's bang him' and Harris landed a flying kick on Maltby's head"

+"Herbert and three other youths joined in by kicking and stamping on him as they beat him unconscious."

+"When Lancaster cradled her boyfriend in her arms and pleaded for mercy, Harris delivered a flying kick to her head and Herbert volley-kicked her in the face 'like a ball in flight'."

+"The injuries to both victims were so severe that paramedics could not tell which sex either was. A clear footwear pattern was visible on Lancaster's head."

+Robert, in his own words, "Before all this happened I was settled into a life quite independent...My life was set up and I had control over everything. Now I have regressed to being something similar to a child. I really just like to think I'm now only eight months old. I'm finding the whole world a terrifying place."


So after reading this, and feeling overwhelming anger and general depression over the state of today's youth and the world and the crap of mainstream culture, I left work at rush hour. On the train platform, I witnessed a teenager cut everyone in line without any shame or apology whatsoever. His arrogance almost daring to be challenged, he boarded, sat in the handicap/elderly section, and put his feet up on the seat next to him. Sensing he would have no qualms in punching me in the face or swiping my bag, I buried my head into my storyboarding homework and hoped to God he didn't spot me.

And to top off this whole mess of a Monday, before going to bed, I watched a PBS Frontline report about teenagers who have grown up Online... TURNS OUT IT'S NOT ALTOGETHER A GOOD IDEA.

Who are these people going to become? Am I just an overly worried 32-year-old, nostalgic for the innocence of the 80s? Fuck. I don't even have kids and my stomach's turning in worry over the cyber-bulling, the obsession with group beatings (and filming it for You Tube), and the total lack of respect for anyone outside of their suburban gangs. I can't imagine raising kids around the muck out there. WHO NEGLECTS TEACHING THEIR CHILDREN THE BASICS OF PROPER SOCIAL INTERACTION AND THE TENANTS OF RIGHT AND WRONG? Is that it? Are families to blame? Probably... as is processed food, pharmaceuticals, meth, beer, the Internet, video games, myspace, text messaging, Gossip Girl, Vogue Magazine, Hot Or Not?, The Real World, TV in general, racism, sexism, fashion, eating disorders, The Gap, boredom, apathetic teachers, enabling mothers, unaware fathers, sex, rock-n-roll, Satan, Jesus, George Bush, Barack Obama, money, greed, xenophobia, acne, and The New Deal.

How's it all going to end? ...i'm going to look at pictures of puppies now...

LINK via JEZEBEL

No comments: