Thursday, June 26, 2008

A "Poem": Becoming


[Sidebar: This past weekend I took part in an intensive writing seminar at BCC. Over the course of the weekend, I wrote four different pieces - each in about ten minutes. They've been edited (since I can't not edit) but the content is true to my in-the-moment inspiration. Recently, this blog has been dedicated to my lengthy Bachelorette recaps, so I'm happy to post something new. I hope you especially get a kick out of my poetry attempts.]

Becoming

I am an editor.
"Editor" fits me to a tee.
"Creative" was a word I laughed at when applied to me.

Spelling, sentence, structure
semi-colon, comma, hyphen
awkward

To finish and see the beautiful
red-inked landscape of my
practical, ruled, application:
b r e a t h t a k i n g

Then. Then anger caused exchange of red
for black
for blue
for keystroke
for pencil
for marker
for eyeliner
for chalk
for cigarette butt

Anger motivated
and always comedy
and usually tragedy
and honor memory
and love family

Brought forth by music

"Creative" can be me,
has to be me

Only I hold my own view

And then I edit, I write, I edit, I write

Duality.
Cheesy poetry.

No comments: